How to get maximum savings from your programmable thermostat this winter
Adding a programmable thermostat (and setting it correctly) is a great way to save on your heating and cooling bill year-round.
Here are some ways to get the most value out of your programmable thermostat in winter:
1. Start at 68. You can easily save money by setting your thermostat to 68 degrees (or lower!) and turning it down when you’re away or asleep.
2. Change one degree. Turning your thermostat down just one degree in winter will save enough money each month to power your house for one day. That’s like a free day of power!
3. Go mobile. The icomfort Wi-Fi can be controlled from your computer, smart phone or tablet, making it easier to adjust the temperature to the exact setting that you need (without getting up from the couch).
4. Set it and forget it. Set up your thermostat properly the first time and you’ll avoid the temptation to turn the heat up every time you get cold.
5. Turn it down when you don’t need it. By turning your thermostat back 10-15 degrees for eight hours (while you’re gone during the day or bundled up sleeping at night), you can save 5-15% a year on your heating costs – a savings of as much as 1% for each degree if the setback period is eight hours long.
6. Upgrade your furnace. A new, energy-efficient furnace installation can save you up to 25% on your heating cost and work better with newer thermostats.
7. Practice. This simulator will give you a sense what can be done with programmable thermostat.
Kohles & Bach has been serving the greater Des Moines area’s heating and cooling needs since 1945. Kohles & Bach is a premiere Lennox Dealer and carries Lennox products for your home and business. Follow on Facebook for energy-saving tips and deals.